The 2020-2021 Next Generation Scholarship is now open!
The NRF Foundation and retail executive judges are searching for high-performing students who demonstrate a passion for retail and a unique, innovative perspective on our industry to apply for the Next Generation Scholarship. Recipients will be ambitious, adaptable and have the potential to impact the future of retail.
The 2020-2021 Next Generation scholarship application process consists of two phases. In the first phase, applicants are required to submit an essay, personal brand video, two letters of recommendation, resume, headshot and school transcripts. The application deadline for phase one is Friday, May 1, 2020 at 11:59pm ET.
In the second phase, the top 25 applicants will be required to complete a case study created in collaboration with Petsmart, Inc. and complete phone interviews with two assigned retailers. Applicants will be notified by May 19, 2020 if they have been selected to move on to this phase and will receive their assigned project. The application deadline for phase two is August 7, 2020 at 11:59pm ET.
In the third phase, the top 10 applicants will complete quick-fire interviews with the NRF Team. From there, the top 5 finalists will be identified. The finalists will complete their final round interviews at the Fall 2020 NRF Foundation Board Meeting.
January 21, 2020 - Applications open for submission
May 1, 2020 - Phase one deadline: Essay, personal brand video, letters of recommendation, resume, school transcripts and headshot due
May 19, 2020 - Up to 25 semi-finalists selected and notified if moving on to phase two; company project distributed to those applicants via the scholarship platform
August 7, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. ET - Phase two deadline: Company project and company interview completed by this time
September 1, 2020 - Top 10 applicants selected and notified
September 3-11, 2020 - Top 10 applicants complete quick-fire interviews with NRF Foundation Team
Sept. 16, 2020 - Top 5 finalists selected and notified
Fall 2020 - Final round interviews
January 2021 - Top recipient announced on stage at NRF Foundation Honors
- Juniors or seniors enrolled full time at a University Member school at the time when the scholarship is presented in January 2021 (Note: current sophomores can apply if they will be of junior standing in January of 2021)
- Must not have previously received an award of $10,000 or more from the NRF Foundation.
- Must be U.S. citizens or legal U.S. residents eligible to work in the United States.
- Must have a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- Must have prior or current experience working in a retail job or internship.
- Students in any major are eligible. Possible majors include business, merchandising, supply chain, analytics, entrepreneurship, finance, accounting, retail studies, computer science, marketing, communications, etc.
Impressing the judges
Judges are searching for high-performing students who demonstrate a passion for leadership and a unique, innovative perspective on our industry.
The top 25 applicants will receive a travel stipend to cover registration and travel expenses to attend the NRF Foundation Student Program in New York City. Travel stipends will be paid directly to the school. These students are also invited to attend the NRF Foundation Honors.
The NRF Foundation will announce the top recipient during the NRF Foundation Honors: one $25,000 scholarship for the top recipient and four $10,000 scholarships. Scholarship proceeds will be made payable to the educational institution at which the student is enrolled.
Email email@example.com with questions related to the scholarship process.